From:
bill bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:07:15 -0400
I think that in an earlier post I neglected to mention that
I did use smoke.  It does seem to take very little smoke
though.  If you watch the bees and when you smoke them they
go down off the top bars.  As you are working you will
notice that they start to congregate back near the top bars
and there are a lot of eyes looking at you.   Another puff
of smoke will send them back down.

There is a little story that I do believe a little.  Just as
with horses and dogs and other animals they seem to be able
to sense that you are afraid.  Maybe the bees do too.  We
know they can smell because they use a few pheromones in
their life which they can smell.

Better try a little smoke.  I think you will be happier.

William A. Bartlett
19124 Lake Drive
Leonardtown, Maryland 20650
38.25 N, 76.60 W