Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 12:59:12 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
At 02:38 PM 1/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone had experience using styrofoam hive bodies?
>Where can they be purchase in the USA?

Hi Dave,

The GOOD,

Styrofoam supers that I tested were made by a spin mold process that gave them a hard veinal coating on all exposed surface's and held up real well under normal commercial conditions and if could be produced for less then wood could be satisfactory substitute.

The BAD,

All Styrofoam hives, tops, bottoms, and supers, I tested had severe problems with the moisture normally found in hives in all areas of the US and will promote nasty looking molds and other problems for the bees.

The UGLY,

All Styrofoam hives, (tops, bottoms, the works) tested in this area promote and are ideal for rearing the greater wax worms. If you have never opened a beautiful Carnolian breeder hive and seen the worms eating the hive alive you have missed a sight that is right out of science fiction.

Styrofoam hives are excellent for studying wax worms and other insects associated with bee hives that normally would not be reared in large numbers or are normally controlled by the bees themselves. I did observe maybe for the first time and for sure never reported, wax worms boring all the way through the Styrofoam bottoms and into the earth to try and pupate. (Don't quote this around the wrong people or you will be called less then truthful as the greater wax worms don't do this.<G>)

Don't know if anyone is selling these hives in the US, but I am sure they have improved since the time I tested them and could be worth a look see.

ttul, the OLd Drone
Los Banos, Left Coast

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!

ATOM RSS1 RSS2