From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:39:37 -0500
> I hope this grant is not from people who make pesticides.

Honestly, I thought we had moved past that attitude. Many of these companies fund scientific research and the studies are subject to the same rigor as other funded work. They are not buying results, but promoting the expansion of our understanding. Toxicity studies have caused some pesticides to be discontinued and/or replaced by newer, smarter ones.

Are the pesticide manufacturers automatically the bad guys? What about people who use pesticides? What about people who eat food that was produced with pesticides? If we disqualify all these folks from studying pesticides, who will do the work? People who know nothing about the methods and have no experience with this type of work?

By the way, organic farmers use pesticides, too. Some of them, while they may be "natural", are poisonous and in many cases, should be obsolete. Separating the world into the good guys (beekeepers, buddhists, and organic farmers) and the bad guys (everybody else) serves no useful purpose.

PLB