From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:53:40 -0500
Yes Mark, a Catch-22.  Heretofore prophylactic use of antibiotics has been
legal.  And some beekeepers may have used antibiotics to treat active
outbreaks of AFB, an illegal act.  Legal or not, what changes is the easy
access to the antibiotics.  I wonder in black market antibiotics will start
showing up.  I get your point that a beekeeper might burn the infected hive
and get a VFD to treat other hives not showing signs of active AFB in the
same yard.

And yes, I caught the assertion of the NYS Apiculturist that the drop in
AFB coincided with the availability of Tylosin.  The assertion was that
tylosin "broke the back of (oxytet) resistant AFB".

Aaron Morris - thinking the solution may be worse than the problem.
ly been able to use antibiotics