From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:34:50 -0700
>I wonder if treatments you are and others around you are using might be a
factor.

This occurs prior to when we generally start treating.  We notice when we
start to pull honey, usu about a month after the main flow ends.  The
strongest colonies often have greatly reduced broodnests, which then drives
varroa infestation rates way up.  But I'm being careful to give the
colonies plenty of room for storage--so thinking that it is not due to
plugging out the broodnest, plus there is invariably plenty of dark drawn
comb below the broodnest.

It's just that at least some of the best honey producers really shrink up
the brood area in late summer.  We are not on agriculture, nor pesticides,
and there are adequate pollen sources to maintain broodrearing in the
lesser hives.

We really noticed this phenomenon this season in many yards.  Was curious
whether it was generic prior to varroa.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA