From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:15:17 -0600
> The bees did take the syrup down quickly enough, however I still prefer a
> larger feeder myself, although the larger feeders do have a higher initial
> capital requirement.

The biggest problem I see with this system is the amount of overhead room
above the cluster required to accommodate the bag.

In spring, we feel it is important to have a ceiling (lid or
inner cover, or sack, or insulating pillow) immediately above the combs so
that the warmth is kept down in the comb area where we want brood.  An
inner cover with an inverted pail allows for a good seal and low ceiling,
as does using a frame feeder (our choice).  The bags don't.

Later, and in the fall, this is not a problem, and there is no need to
limit the space since there are many more bees, the brood area is not
so vulnerable, and the weather is not so tricky.

Allen