From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:54:51 -0500
> Bob, I thought that would be the case, until I recently spoke to
> commercial
> beeks at various conventions.  There are still plenty using Checkmite,

Maybe in California. The place with the most reported cases of CCD.
I would need to see more than simply your word on checkmite use.

 This is the first that I've heard of a de novo chemical being produced!  Dr
> Pettis is out to lunch right now, so I can't confirm.

 Please post his comments and not simply remain silent when he confirms what
I say.  Pettis said at the convention exactly what the research Peter posted
said.

Correct?

"Comb on which fluvalinate and coumaphos have been used is more problematic
for bees than a comb on which one one or the other has been used. "

Slide one showed the spike from fluvalinate

slide two showed the spike from coumaphos

slide three showed the spike from comb when both had been used. A HUGE
spike!

 And many used agricultural
> coumaphos rather than Checkmite strips.

Their is no over the counter coumaphos which will work as a replacement for
checkmite. Korral kills bees. Ask Jeff. I was informed by David Westervelt
of a out of state commercial beekeeper which lost around 3500 hives in
Florida trying to use Korral. David said there is no over the counter
agriculture coumaphos which will replace checkmite. Pettis basically said
the same thing at a convention I attended.

That is not to say a beekeeper with chemical company connections could not
get the right strength coumaphos. Maybe California beeks are using
agriculture coumaphos but I only know of a single case ( Florida).
Ask Pettis about the Florida case.

Coumaphos should never have been used in a bee hive! Beside contaminating
comb in most areas varroa resistant to coumaphos appeared in around three
years. I think I need to come to a California meeting and bring you guys up
to speed.

I might add that the bee labs told beekeepers the way to use fluvalinate and
amatraz years ago without harming bees. Using craft sticks. The first varroa
articles in ABJ talked about using tongue depressors dipped in mavrik. So
why would you blame the beekeepers. Before apistan & Mitacur was registered
Mavric & tictac  was all there was. If you want to air the dirty laundry
then get the story right. The bee labs started the problem!

Sure some used the above years ago but I do not know of a single commercial
beekeeper which uses sticks dipped in mavrik although I am sure there are a
few uninformed beeks around..

 I think some of those commercial beeks are pulling your leg Randy.

> We don't know enough yet about the reported high Florida levels of
> imidacloprid in citrus to draw conclusions.

 When beekeepers sending orange juice to a lab and like temik  IMD is found
in oranges and orange juice then maybe like temik IMD use will stop on
orange.

When a beekeeper walks into a Florida orange grower meeting and presents the
lab results
like with temik things will change.

Would be a very bad PR problem if the news people found out.

Does the list know how much IMD is allowed before orange juice will be
pulled from shelves? Please ask Bayer for me Randy. Thanks. My attempts to
find out have been a failure.

Zero tolerance?

IMD in pollen and nectar of orange (like temik) but not in the orange. All
parts of the plant contain IMD. but not the fruit? Maybe a little valve
prevents the IMD from entering the orange? Hmmm.

Temik was the first Bayer systemic used on orange. Banned *now* on orange
and completely banned in the U.K..

bob