From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:57:32 -0000
Peter Chiang Mai
>There are ten frames in each colony at present and I am going to make that
>two fives.

I would put virtually all the brood with the split on the new site,
especially if you are then going to let them make their own queens - they
will need plenty of nurse bees.  It could be some time before you have a new
queen laying, so the hatching brood will keep the split strong.  It would
really be better if you could raise some decent queen cells ahead of
splitting.

>"can't be a big hill" ....  well it is really steep....

Yes, I know the area - but that is nothing if you have wings!  Using DNA
analysis Professor Francis Ratnieks was able to show that queens in one
valley in the Derbyshire Peak District had mated with drones from a colony
in the next valley; there was a large mountain in between - so much for
isolated mating apiaries!

>The comments to move the old queen to the new location so that any bees
>that get lost strengthen the remaining colony is a really good thought.

Greatly increases the risk of a mating swarm in my view; you would have all
the fliers raising the new queens and they might well go with them when they
fly to mate - I would want to keep the fliers with the old queens (standard
practice when making artificial swarms - at least in the UK) and as many
nurse bees as possible with the queen rearing splits.

Best wishes

Peter