From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:17:01 -0400
Dean writes:

> Uninformed:  Really?  Honestly, I'd like you to explain what about what i posted was uninformed.  I'm sure you won't.

Allen: Is there some material we can look over to look deeper into this conjecture?

You: I don't have anything new to offer. Last I heard, the Swedish reserchers were looking for more funding to continue the work.

And: _if_ feeding sugar drastically affects the microbial culture in the hive and/or individual bee (and given the shift of ph from 3.5-4.5 with honey, and 6.0 with syrup, i think it's a given that the ph difference alone is assured to change the makeup/balance of the culture.

Me:
You seem to disregard over one hundred years of evidence that the feeding of cane sugar is not harmful to bees; is in fact very beneficial. You seem to dismiss this evidence on the basis of a few incomplete studies that support your working hypothesis that sugar is evil, and ignore all the facts to the contrary.

I worked in the queen rearing and package bee industry and we fed tons of sugar. The bees turn this energy into more bees. Those hives produced more bees per unit than most folks can even imagine. Amateur beekeepers sitting in a marginal area have absolutely no idea of the potential of a properly managed hive.

There are a lot of us here that are trying to get to the facts of what does and does not make a healthy colony. Meanwhile many people are working just as hard to prove their pet theories. Both of these activities may be motivated by the desire to find the truth, but they are two very different methods.

It seems clear to me that holding a template over everything you look at is not going to increase your chances at getting at the correct answer. More likely you will find the answer that fits most closely with the template and discard the rest.