From:
Steve Heizer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 18:51:59 -0400
        Now, my chemistry is rusty, but I believe borax (sodium borate) is a salt
of boric acid.  I believe boric acid is derived from borax.  I have used
borax as ant poison, and hope that I am not revealing myself as a fool by
admitting it.  I even use 20 Mule Train Boraxo.  (Are those faint gales of
laughter in the background?)  I must admit I have never actually seen a
defunct ant nest (I comfort myself with the image), but I have imagined
that the ant infestation in my hives has abated after application...  Can
anybody clarify the effect or either compound?

Steve Heizer