From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:18:50 -0700
Hi All,

Pete wrote: >Doesn't really explain what we are seeing right now in the
Northeast. Many beekeepers, none of whom has any connection to large scale
migratory beekeeping, are seeing unprecedented losses.

Pete, as you are well aware, episodic "plagues" are not unusual in bee
populations.  It's certainly possible, but I see no particular reason to
assume that the same causative organism is at play in your area.

I've been speaking with Dr Jim Burrit, who recently discovered a pathogenic
bacteria apparently causing colony mortality in Minnesota. He's interested
in samples from collapsing colonies in other states (perhaps another plague
is brewing).  He doesn't want to be overloaded with mail to answer, so
here's what we decided to request:

Only contact him if you can collect some varroa mites from the hive (live
or dead), since he's found that varroa is a better source of the bacterium
than are randomly-sampled bees.  The mites can be mailed in a labeled
ziplock bag.  If you are interested, please

Email him at "Burritt, James" <[log in to unmask]>
In the subject line, write "Sample, county, state,"  e.g., Sample, Ithaca,
New York
The above will allow him to screen the emails in order to collect from a
variety of areas.
Do not expect him to answer all emails.  He will let you know if he would
like a sample from your county, and will send you mailing information.

Here's a chance for some citizen science, and perhaps we can learn
something important.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA