From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 07:56:25 -0400

<< Among the older capped brood, there are some cells (about 20)
 which are uncapped and contain what look like pupae. I say it's
 a pupa because it's not a fully-formed bee and it's not a larva.
 To be precise, the "pupa" takes up the entire cell and I can see
 his little face (larva don't have faces) looking out.

 Questions: Who's uncapping the poor things and why? >>

   This is known as "bald brood."  It is thought to be caused by a virus.  In
my experience it seems to be evidence of weak stock, and they will need a lot
of nursing along, and not ever do well. You otherwise indicate bees that are
not doing very well.

   I suggest requeening.  When you get bees from the new queen, they will
likely be of better genetic stock.  Plus they will have the vigor of a young
queen. This usually works for me. If you get too late in the season for them
to build up, I'd just eliminate the colony, probably by combining with
another.

   I know it seems hard nosed, but all my beekeeping experience strongly
tells me:  It's not worth the effort to nurse along junk bees.  Cull them.
 Vigorous culling is the flip side of good breeding.

[log in to unmask]   Dave Green   Hemingway, SC  USA
Pollination Info:   http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html