From:
Rett Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:34:59 -0600
> Feeding with baggies has been mentioned. How is this done? What kind
> of baggie, and where is it placed?

        When I got my new bees this year I asked around to determine the
best method of feeding.  With the help of this list I also decided upon
the baggie method.  This has worked great.  The bees seem to get all the
syrup they want and I haven't had any of the problems mention by others.
I did experience one annoyance.  When I would go to work the bees, it
was a real hassle getting the baggie off (unless it was empty).  It is
pretty much impossible to get the baggie off the frames without spilling
some syrup down onto the bees, and this happens again when you try to
place the half full baggie back on the frames.  However, I think I have
a very simple solution.  Next time I feed I plan to put the baggies on a
piece of plywood or in a small tray of some sort.  This should remedy my
problem of lifting off a baggie with slits in it.  I also think this
could help those who say that the syrup spills down over the frames, if
you used a small tray it would collect the syrup and not spill down into
the hive.
        comments?

        Rett Thorpe
        Salt Lake City, Utah