From:
Dan Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2017 15:40:37 -0400
Had an orchard contact me today looking for pollination assistance on peach
trees being grown in a high tunnel/hoop house structure.  The top opens for
heat reduction, as well as the plastic sides roll up ~3 feet.
The producer has a full sized apple and peach orchard but is "figuring it
out as he goes along" with a few dozen peach trees under plastic and this
appears to be his first year with a crop potential with the tunnel trees
and he didn't plan for pollination needs.
My question is if bees will even pollinate in the tunnel, or will they just
bounce off the sides and roof looking for an escape?  If they will
pollinate, it seems like a pretty small hive/nuc would suffice (the tunnel
is only ~35' X 75').  Or would this just equal death for the hive as the
bees find an exit and never find their way back in?
Thanks!
Dan W