From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 23:08:54 +0000
Hi,

> The hive has been identified for me as a Stewarton hive.  I believe that
> it may have originated in Stewarton, Scotland, but I'm not sure...  Any
> info such as construction, dimensions, etc. would be immensely
> appreciated!!
>
> Thanks again,
> Kevin Palm
> Grafton, Ohio

I seem to remember that Steele & Brodie have the details of many old
hive designs and may be able to help with details.  The Stewarton is
mentioned in Wedmore's 'A Manual of Beekeeping' as having 'slides
between the bars'  which I guess was a form of frame spacing.  Manley
also mentions having seen one - complete with bees - in 'Honey
Farming'.  He described having seen the hive in his childhood and
therefore it would seem that the hive was available some time before
1905.  Try Steele & Brodie.

Joe