From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:49:07 +0000
SEARCHING THE BEE-L ARCHIVE

It is possible to search a number of mailing lists,  including BEE-L
at the following site:

http://www.reference.com/

Unfortunately the list of BEE-L archived messages at this site go
back no further than March 1997.  However,  the BEE-L listserv
archive contains messages that go back to the very beginning when
the OLd Drone was taking his first orientation flights and I thought
hives was a skin complaint - 1989 I think.

The listserv requires correct syntax in order to search the archives.
 I suggest that this message is saved and then the required example
cut and pasted into a mail message.

I usually find the listserv is quick to respond with a return
message,  generally less than 60 seconds but as they say 'your
mileage may vary'  according to traffic and your ISP.

Send all messages to the listserv:

Not the list!

The following examples should work for any listserv,  provided that
it has the necessary software installed and that the examples are
mmodified to refer to the list name.

SEARCHING FOR MESSAGES THAT CONTAIN A
SPECIFIC WORD

The following example will return a list of the messages containing a
particular word and then print each message.  If you wish to just
obtain a list of the messages omit the last line.  To retrieve
individual messages from the returned list - see the last example at
the bottom of this message.

Example --------------------------------------------------------

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH VARROA IN BEE-L
PRINT

USING DATES

Example --------------------------------------------------------

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH VARROA IN BEE-L SINCE 01-AUG-96
PRINT

The following date/time examples are valid-

FROM 14 july TO oct 87.
SINCE 86
UNTIL 23-JUN-87
SINCE today 11:30

SEARCHING BY SENDER

In order to obtain a list of subscribers and their email addresses
send a message to the listserv (address above) containing the line
REVIEW BEE-L. This will return a list of the names and addresses of
all the list subscribers. I have found that using the address from
the left margin as far as the '@' sign will do the trick.  Make sure
to use the SaMe CaSe. Use brackets to enclose the name.  The
following example will return all messages in the archive sent by
Allen Dick from that particular address.

Example --------------------------------------------------------

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH * IN BEE-L WHERE SENDER CONTAINS ([log in to unmask])
PRINT

BUT if you write a complex search that exceeds the length of one
line it must be split up in such a way to let the Listserv know that
the next line is a continuation of the previous.  The way to do this
is to finish the line with a space and a hyphen and start the new line
with a space.

Example --------------------------------------------------------

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH VARROA IN BEE-L -
 WHERE SENDER CONTAINS ([log in to unmask]) -
 SINCE 01-AUG-1996
PRINT

SEARCHING FOR MESSAGES THAT CONTAIN
PARTICULAR WORDS IN THE SUBJECT

Example --------------------------------------------------------

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH * IN BEE-L -
 WHERE SUBJECT CONTAINS 'HONEYNUT CHEERIOS' -
 SINCE 01-OCT-91
PRINT

RETRIEVING INDIVIDUAL POSTS

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=10:000 OUTLIM=6000
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH * IN BEE-L
PRINT xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
(Where xxxx is the returned index number for the individual post)

Joe Hemmens