From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:29:27 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Yoon Sik
Kim, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I was installing ½” wire-mesh-mouse-guards

Why?

Do you not have the standard reversible bottom boards?

The shallow side (normally 3/8") is that way for a reason. It is too
small for the entry of mice. Turn the boards over and allow entrance on
the shallow side and mouse entry is then really very rare indeed (just
the very occasional baby mouse or shrew). Mouse guards are then a thing
of the past.

FWIW we use the shallow side up all year round and the bees like it fine
(although we never get California style heat).

Persistent pests, like rats or bigger, CAN rip out thumbtacks, but then
they can also chew through the side of the box if they wish (especially
if cedar is used). Banging in fence staples is asking for a good
stinging unless well protected.
--
Murray McGregor