From:
Kelley Rosenlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:20:02 -0500
>Do you agree or disagree with the following:
>
>Waxmoth larva generally eat organic matter like the cocoons left in the
>cells of brood comb.  If honey supers are separated from brood boxes by a
>queen excluder 100% of the time, and no brood is ever raised in them, the
>chance of getting waxmoth in them is nil since there is nothing in them
>of  value to eat.

When I first got started and did not know about the wax moths, I bought 400 supers from a fellow and had to store them outside along with brood frames from my deep hive bodies. ALL of the hive body frames were destroyed, only a few of the super framed were attacked and I suspect at one time those may have had brood. Wax moths have cost me more money than any other disease/pest...
God Bless,
Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]
Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A., Phone:352-378-7510 Fax:352-372-0078
200 hives, almost 2 years in beekeeping. 8 frame deeps,shallows.