From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:39:27 -0700
There have been several replies to the original question.  As you will
see, without the scientific names, there can be confusion about the
properties of any plant which has "common" or regional names.  In general,
where they're known, I believe the scientific name should be provided
along with the common name.

With respect to Cedar:

INCENSE CEDAR
http://www.orst.edu/instruct/for241/con/spp/icdrspp.html
incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens)
        or
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesFT.asp?fotogID=1005&curPageNum=15
Calocedrus (Libocedrus) decurrens
                                  Family: Cypress

Photo: http://www.mcquesten.com/mcquesten/cedar-pro/boards-pic-large.JPG

WESTERN RED  CEDAR
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/forest/westred.htm
 thuja plicata
Photo:
http://www.bearcreeklumber.com/productimagepages/wrc/panandpat/wrcpptandg.html

EASTERN RED CEDAR
http://www.cedarusa.com/newpage2.html
or Aromatic Red Cedar
Juniperus Virgiania
Photo: http://www.cedarusa.com/images/pix/grain.jpg

Even though the California/Oregon "Incense Cedar" sounds as though it
should be the most pungent, Eastern Red Cedar is what commonly lines
chests and closets.  Aside from its cost, I suspect it is too strong to be
tolerated by bees.

Western Red Cedar is resistant to rot, smells nice but is not too
pungent.  Don't know whether it would have any effect on moths. It is not
as rot resistant as Redwood.  Use screws and glue to put any hive
constructed with WRC.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.