From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:49:57 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:

>I think Deknow misses the point but only because he does not perhaps
>understand the way hives are moved in fall into Texas & California. There
>are two methods.
>
>1. All hives which are queenright and seem healthy are moved. This method
>has an element of luck needed.
>
>2. Only the strongest and the rest are depopulated.

Having been in the business since 1974 I have seen plenty of truckloads of
bees and they don't all fall neatly into these two categories.

In California, bees take a beating in the summer due to excessive
temperatures, insecticides, etc. These bees are not strong and healthy, but
they are moved to coastal areas to recuperate. After a while, they are
strong enough to start splitting again.

Similarly, I have seen bees in Upstate NY that are pretty well wrecked by
the end of October due to mites, etc. These hives are hauled to Florida for
treatment and recuperation.

The way you write, it sounds like weak hives are blown out or just left
behind. If it were a widespread practice, I believe I would have seen it.

Other than that, I agree that hardly anyone outside the bee industry has a
remote clue of what beekeepers do.

pb