From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 10:03:46 EDT

Peter:

You said/asked: frames from CCD dead outs ... are not robbed out,  ...are the
bees that are still left in the vicinity foraging normally, willing  to take
up syrup from other sources ?

Simple answer - yes.  Although, one of the early signs of CCD seems  to be
that affected colonies will not take feed - syrup or pollen  substitute.

I've seen this lack of robbing in FL, CA, and had a long talk  with a TX
beekeeper who saw the same.  CCD apiaries usually have some  apparently normal
colonies, and many locations had other  unaffected  apiaries within 200-400
yards.  Deadouts within the unaffected beeyards  were being robbed, while deadouts
in the nearby CCD beeyard were  ignored.

Eventually - 2-3 weeks, the robbers and pests show up.  CCD deadouts  and CCD
colonies with very weak populations (queen and some young bees) were not
being robbed and there were virtually no hive beetles or wax moths.  Yet,  the
best colonies in the same beeyards had hive beetles - lots of them in some  of
the FL yards.

In Texas, tops of hives were removed, honey frames pulled up and left
throughout the yard like so many flags in a field.  After 1 week, no  robbing (this
one was described to me by the beekeeper).

In CA, piles of boxes with 30-40 # of honey sat untouched, while deadouts  in
a stockpile yard 400 yards away were robbed clean.  After a month, the  piles
of boxes were robbed.

Late in the spring, CCD deadouts that I saw in CA were not robbed UNTIL  the
boxes were opened, inspected.  Even then, robbing was sluggish.   So, there's
some seasonal differences -- they will be robbed in prime robbing  season -
but you've almost got to start the process, even if the deadouts have  been
sitting for some time.

Jerry