From:
Kristine Naess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:38:46 -0400
I haven't seen the kick test either but about 15 years ago Greg Hunt gave this presentation which was pretty amusing to those who were not in the bee yard where a bunch of hives were lined up, each with a well clothed beekeeper standing besides it and at the count to three or some other signal they all gave their hives a thud after which they waved a stick with a piece of leather attached in front of the entrance to gather stings- I think that's how it went at any rate, maybe the thud was not needed but the kick test brought this picture back to mind.  If I remember correctly these were cross bred hives and they were doing linkage mapping of the defensive behavior.  Now they've moved on to cruel and unusual punishment involving electro shocking individual bees.