From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:07:25 -0600
Hello Allen & All,
Thanks for the post Allen!
Lots of thought went into the post I am sure!

I might ad a few comments later but because the post is directed to get
further information on Dee's operation I will be a lurker for now.

I will say that what Dee is preaching such as clean comb using no chemicals
or antibiotics is not what my friend Dr. Larry Conner is sharing in his
December American Bee Journal article (volume 152 No. 12) page 1129 titled:
"Beekeeping for Profit"

My close friend Tim Tucker (next president of the American Beekeeping
Federation _ABF_) realizes (as do I) that beekeeping is moving in a
direction away from commercial beekeeping. The numbers of commercial
beekeepers in the U.S. shrink every year (USDA stats).

Years ago when I was the rep from Missouri and Tim the rep from Kansas we
said so at board meetings. The "Serious Sideliner" presentation is a direct
result of Tim's efforts. Tim expects around 750 beekeepers at the January
ABF meeting. My point is the ABF is growing and the American Honey Producers
Assn. (AHPA )is shrinking in numbers.

Tim is a smart successful commercial beekeeper/ packer. We all see the
handwriting on the wall.

Back to Dr. Larry Connors published article:

Oklahoma beekeeper Greg Hanniford will speak at the Serious Sideliner
Symposium on *$500 per colony pre year*.
Fact:
Most of Oklahoma has been feeding bees most of the last two years do to
extreme drought including Tim Tucker (Tim on the Kansas/Oklahoma line).

These are the kinds of presentations which hobby beekeepers are interested
in. I would love to see the figures? Eh.

Larry's latest concept:
quote:
"We have discussed the *concept* of two and a half hives over the past year
or two"

Larry goes on to say:
"I should generate $1000 from these bees. here is how I see my situation:"

I personally see nothing wrong with putting forth the plans for wealth by
Mr. Hanniford or Dr. Connors
but many lifelong beekeepers such as myself have to chuckle when we see the
plans.

Even raising chickens and selling eggs looks good on paper!

True you can make and sell lip balms and small containers at markets at high
prices but bring your hours , expenses and work up as a business and things
look differently.

I totally approve of the above methods as brings new beekeepers into our
ranks but from a business standpoint the math is a bit fuzzy.

At least with Dee she promotes methods which are  very different than what
is preached at bee supply houses.

Take these checkmite strips, bottle of fumigillin, terramycin or tylan or
HBH.

The *serious Sideliner* concept (which I had input in  years ago) is simple.
You sell directly to the consumer at prices not normally seen. You do not
count your labor ( similar to the Amish) and the whole scenario depends on
healthy bees or the whole hypothesis collapses.

I would love to see the plan the Oklahoma beekeeper is pushing actually done
over the last two drought seasons in Oklahoma in writing.

There are many people around with methods claimed to lead to profitable
beekeeping.

When proven business basics are put to most plans they are not profitable
but do help to pay for the hobby.

I have never met Mr. Hanniford but Larry and I have been friends for years
and have sat around over a few beers discussing beekeeping. We both lived in
Florida.

I am not slamming these people or their plans and only point out not
different than what Dee does as far as a plan for beekeeping.

I might point out what separates the commercial beekeepers is simple.

1. Those on permanent locations like Dee

2. those which are mobile and free to move bees on pallets to whatever area
of the U.S. they want.
Soon to be Mexico & Canada I believe.

Sincerely
Bob Harrison