From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 21:32:35 -0400
> For the most part they took to it, but darkness
> has fallen
> and there are still many bees on the box--both the top and sides.
>  My question
> is, "what do I do to get them into the hive so I can put the top
> cover on and
> move them out from where they are?"
>   Should I brush them off now and put the cover on tonight?  Wait until
> morning?  Thanks for your help.  Mike Z  in RI.

I use a 5 frame swarm box to capture swarms and see this problem often.  I
put a white sheet on the ground under the cluster and put the box on this.
I take out 2 frames and shake the bees into the box.  I allow them to scent
on the sides and top of the box for a few minutes then brush most of the
bees from the sides and back into the hive and put the frames back in.  Then
I put the top on using a sawing motion so the bees can move. If the queen is
in the hive the bees will rush to get in the front entrance.  If she is on
the sheet she will found amongst an ball of bees. once she is in then they
will line up to get in.  Last week I caught a swarm that was to large for
the box and when I picked them up that night, there was about 1/2 pound
hanging just below the cover in front above the entrance hole.  I just
picked the hive up without closing it and put it in the back of my pickup.
When I arrived home, they were still hanging on for dear life and gave me no
problems as I carried them the back yard and set them on a stand.

Frank Humphrey