From:
"Paul Cronshaw, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:42:01 -0800
This posting prompted me to think about what is happening in my beekeeping
life.

I am still getting swarm calls at this time of year in Santa Barbara.  The
sizes of swarms range from fist size to soccer ball size.  All have queens.

I am wondering if these swarms are the result of mites.  The bees are
breaking the mite breeding cycle by swarming at thislate in the season. I
understand this is a trait of the AHB.

Perhaps we are seeing survival of the fittest occuring in the local bee
population.

*********