Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:27:16 -0400
>http://beenatural.wordpress.com/legacy-beekeeping/oxalic-acid-evaporator/

Dennis has some good material there.  His designs make sense and should work,
and I have considered his ideas.  One problem for me is that although I do have
auger holes in all brood chambers, my hives are plastic and I suspect the copper
tubing would melt the auger holes.  I am also uncertain how uniform distribution
would be.

Heating individually with a torch is feasible, but the temperature control is not
good and the job is hands-on, and also dependant on weather and wind.

Maybe I am obsessing about controlling temperature and maybe the
evaporating material will hold the temperature until it has all gone, but I have doubts.

I notice that the page is from 2009 and Dennis was saying how he was using
"natural cell" and "mite tolerant bees from small cell hives" and not treating
routinely.  Some time later, he reported very high losses here on BEE-L.

That mirrors my experience in depending on "mite tolerant bees" and confirms
the oft-repeated observation from those who see a lot of operations.

That observation is that ignoring varroa levels does not result in immediate losses,
but after several years, the assumption is that the various diseases and viruses
abetted by varroa build up to where a sudden collapse occurs even if the levels
are below supposed threshold.  Three years typically can elapse before problems
suddenly avalanche.

Pete mentions this from time to time and is usually met with disagreement from
those who have been getting away with allowing varroa free reign.