Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:57:29 -0700
Only in small areas.
The requirements (imho) for any meaningful feral bee study must
include isolation from managed colonies. That limits the useful
test areas (in all cases I can imagine) to places offlimits to
beekeepers. I had pretty good luck in SW Arizona by utilizing the
Kofa National Wildlife Reserve, and large Air Force and Marine
firing ranges (5-7 million acres), both before and after the AHB
swept through. Others (Loper, Sheppard, Schmidt, ?) did the same.
My jars of alcohol-preserved bee samples, unfortunately, were
dumped by the Tucson USDA lab after my retirement in 2001, but
that is the usual approach to government research materials, even
if irreplacable. I have copies of many morphometric analyses, but
they are prob of little use with CCD studies.
Mite studies of jarred samples could yield results years into the
future, if labs and beekeepers would regularly save a few samples.
It would not take much room or expertise, and might help answer
questions in the future.
Think ahead.
  - John Edwards, former USDA killer bee tracker and identifier,
now in Vancouver, WA