From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:04:23 -0600
Hello Peter & All,
Peter shared:
>I left California in 1991, before the African bees really took hold. My
>friend Tom Glenn gave up a lucrative business raising open mated queens in
>Southern California, when he realized he could not prevent the
>Africanization of his colonies. Fortunately, he was able to convert his
>operation to Instrumental Insemination (II) and build back up to a
>prospering business.

Great Peter! I guess you might as well share the fact AHB was found in the
San Diago before Texas but kept quiet. At least Texas admitted to AHb being
in the state.

I would guess AHB has been in southern California 20-25 years.

>Living in the north, as I do, I have not had to deal with them.

There are some pretty naive beekeepers on the list . I ask one simple
question Peter.

Where do New York beekeepers which but thousand of queens each year get
their bees which can be said not to contain the possibility AHB genetics?

> One way that the northern states could be infected by African stock is by
> migratory beekeepers bringing them in from Florida, Louisiana , or Texas.

Not California? maybe I should let you talk to a couple buyers of queens.
Luckily few queens end up aggressive and simply killing off the aggressive
bees still works as has been done since the start of keeping bees.

The AHB threat is way overblown.

> At this point, AHBs are illegal in NY State,

The same in Missouri. legislators have solved the problem. Pass a law and
end of problem.

No checking or enforcement until a stinging incident but problem solved.

> They are on par with vicious dogs; more trouble than they are worth.

I enjoyed your YouTube of your dog and the Buddha but hope a criminal does
not see as they could toss out a Buddha and steal your household items.
(kidding peter!)

I am a dog lover also!

Dogs are not naturally vicious . Stupid  people make dogs vicious.
 My best dog was a rare Rhodesian Ridgeback. Raised her from puppy. She was
my dog. She rarely barked and was always calm. Did not like being petted by
other people but did want to get their scent. The Rhodesian Ridgeback is
used in Africa as a kill dog when hunting lions. She never bit people or
caused a problem but hated cats. I had two Dobermans and never had a problem
with those. Two German Sheppard's. People are scared of big dogs but all
dogs unless treated badly are loving animals.
Dogs respond to kindness. Dogs are protective with those they bond with but
smart enough to only react when the owner senses danger.
For extra money years ago I trained dogs and other animals. Gave
presentations at the state fair and a couple of the largest ranches in the
state.

bob