Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:14:58 -0400
> I prefer to have a lit smoker always when I work bees as I only wear a
> mosquito netting for protection or no protection at all. My help *usually*
> wears a full suit with ankles closed etc..

I trust you don't let them work in hives anywhere near you.

> It is my opinion that the new zero stings bee suits make for aggressive
> bees.

And allergic beekeepers.

> I can understand why a beekeeper would want to wear gloves to keep
> propolis off your hands.

These days, Alberta inspectors are required to wear partial rubber gloves to
protect of the beekeeper from spread of disease and also to protect the
inspector from strips or whatever might be in a hive.  I resisted initially,
but soon found that the nitrile gloves offered are almost as sensitive and
unencumbered as bare hands, and that the goo and little nicks are
eliminated.  I bought some for myself for my own beekeeping.  They are blue
and cost $10 for 100 at Costco.

> I carry a fire extinguisher

I always carry a 2-1/2 gallon bucket of water AND a fire extinguisher.