From:
Gary Ilmanen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:17:43 -0700
Well, I think the study was published in 1996, but the structure and
function of the stinger "assembly" had been studied before, of course.  It
doesn't seem to be primarily capillary-action based.  The barbed lancets (2)
alternately extend and retract, digging the stinger in deeper.  When they
extend, a bell-shaped diaphragm pulls venom from the sack and simultaneously
pushes venom from the pumping chamber into the hollow channel.  I haven't
found any references to actually trying to push venom through by squeezing
the sack... but I bet somebody has measured how much, if any, you can expel
that way.

Best image I found of the parts:
                  http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/bee_stings.htm

Best description I found of how it works:

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/stingstructure.html