From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:22:05 -0500
From: Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>

> It would be criminal (both legally and morally) to ship bees out of a
> State that has been quarantined and which has no inspection program.

I won't get into a moral debate with you. If there are laws regarding AHB in
Arizona, then one must first determine that the Lusby's bees are AHB and
fall under those laws. Short of that, your arguing with a straw man. In
fact, what tests that have been done on their bees would not support
conjecturing that they are AHB. If other breeders can manage to keep stock
that is not Africanized while being surrounded by Africanized quarantined
zones, then there is no reason to believe that the Lusby's couldn't do the
same.

The only thing I'm arguing is the attempt by some to jump the gun and assume
in their writing that they (Lusby's) would be shipping AHB's around the
country. I say let the testing begin! I know it already has, but that
shouldn't stop others from testing the bees if they want to.

> Also, why ship any bees from Arizona anyway, since it is the 4.9 cell
> size which works for all bees everywhere.... right?

The same reason someone would want to buy/ship bees from Bolling Bee,
myself, and a whole assortment of others who now have bees raised on 4.9
cell size; they are already regressed and ready to roll in a 4.9 hive. One
can bypass all the hard work of regression by simply buying the bees.

Regards,
Barry