From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:59:15 -0500
>After several detailed inspections by some more knowledge'd than I
>in beekeeping, it was determined not to be CCD related.

--Details please, I try to keep an open mind

I will provide some details.
From 2006 to 2008, -one of those
years being particularly severe -(sorry
cant recall exact the year which was
severest), the nectar flow was good till
early-mid June in these years then stopped
completely.

No unusual weather, bloom was abundant,
but very little nectar coming in.  Strong
colonies just managed to fill the leading
edge of the broodnest, maintaining critical
brood functions. Strong colonies were just
managing while smaller were under severe
stress and starving.

Strange observation was that although
foraging was basically not existent, I
observed nearly no bees testing colonies,
no excitement in any colonies,  robbing
non-existent, even though lids were
propped and entrances remained wide open.

Winter losses occurred in early winter and
higher than normal. And some interesting
cases of December starvation in mature
colonies, with abundant stores remaining.
No absconding occurred.

The person that inspected my colonies, is
well experienced with what was occurring
in hundreds of colonies in SW Pennsylvania
region, and said nectar flow was absent
in the entire region, but bloom appearing
strong.

I was pressured by internet persons to
blame ccd, -some experts were telling
me ccd could take on varying symptoms
in different parts of the country.

I came to a conclusion that No robbing,
or testing was the result of a great
majority of stores being capped, and
little nectar present, provided less odor
and less incentive to test and rob.

The person that inspected the hives, provided
me with a rather fascinating theory, and yet
plausible.  To be brief, it had to do with cycles
in the flow of nectar, rather than any malady
affecting the foraging abilities of colonies.

If it was CCD, as many encouraged me to
believe, it was gone by 2009

Best Wishes,
J. Waggle