From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:27:16 -0400

>A bear will easily go through an electric fence...if they know there is
>something they want on the
>other side.
  Tony Dixon

I have heard this many times. Once the bears are working the bees, there is
no fence that will stop them. I disagree...at least from my experience with
black bears. I have never had a bear go through a properly constructed and
charged fence...even after the bear has been actively working the yard the
night before. But, these are black bears. I think browns may need something
more.

>   I hang Sardine cans with holes punched in them every 20 -30 feet.
     Roy
>we fold small squares of aluminum
>foil over the high voltage wire and smear them with a little peanut butter
>or bacon grease.
>Tony Dixon

I just hang the strips of bacon directly on the top wire.

Mike