From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:30:57 -0500
Hello All,
One of the best articles I have read concerning "organic honey" was
published in the Sept. issue of the American Bee Journal pg. 685 by  Rich
Schell , lawyer and small farm owner trying to get a certified organic
certification for his farm.

Rich explains the gray area which bees fall under in federal organic
standards. The federal law (organic food production act of 1990)
places honeybees in the same catagory as livestock (which Rich questions in
the article ). The law clearly states all livestock must be contained on
certified organic land and fed only certified organic food. Would not syrup
have to come from certified organic cane sugar if sugar was fed?

From the article:
" True organic production requires a degree of certainty which it may be
argued simply can not exist in the real world of beekeeping"
(which is Bob's position).

 Rich also states:
"bees are not true livestock because their foraging patterns CANNOT BE
CONTROLLED"

(which is the number one rule in raising organic poultry, beef and hogs).

While searching the web this morning looking for the Kansas Honey producers
web site to see the schedule for their upcoming meeting the below  sponsered
link came up.

"Bulk organic honey from Argentina . Product available for export."

I predict a flood of pre bottled and bulk organic honey to hit the U.S.
next year.

Getting a certifed organic certification for the migratory beekeeper is easy
because they travel and sit their bees in many remote areas.

Getting those areas remote areas certified can be as easy as a phone call to
the local certified organic certification people and giving  the location
address. Mailing a check and getting the certification back by return mail.

A list of those agencies are on page 686 of the ABJ article.

What you do with your certification is up to each U.S. honey producer. The
fine for abuse as written by Rich Schell on page 685 of his article is
10,000 U.S.. The same fine as using non USDA approved peticides in a
beehive.

The fine did not stop the use of non USDA approved methods from being
commonly used in the U.S. as a search of the archives will quickly prove
even though a mass spec test will quickly show missuse.

With no way to detect "non organic honey" from "organic" in testing abuse
will in my opinion run wild by the dishonest  only wanting the organic label
to create huge profits .

Getting the certification for non migratory beekeepers in areas of
California such as the valley would almost be impossible in my opinion.

Are we all going to have to jump through the (in my opinion phoney!)
certified organic hoop to compete with unchecked and unverified "certified
organic foreign honey"?

Bob