From:
"Kevin R. Palm" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 23:28:41 -0400
Dear BEE-L'rs,

        Thanks for all the responses to my hiving in cold

weather question.  I got my package hived, finally.  I almost

had a disaster, though...This is my first hive and I removed the

wrong cork from the queen cage.  Guess who escaped???  Luckily,

I had sprayed her accidently with sugar syrup and she couldn't

fly very far!!!  I got her put back in her cage and took the

right cork out this time!  It was a learning experience, but

I'd just as soon not have such a potentially costly experience

again any time soon!!!

        I have another question.  In my panic, I forgot to poke

a hole through the candy plug prior to placing the queen in the

hive.  I also faced the screen towards the comb instead of into

the hive (I'm using drawn comb instead of foundation).  Will the

workers be able to feed her in this position, and will not put-

ting a hole in the plug be a major problem??  A couple of people

I've talked to said that I'll probably have to release her if

she hasn't been freed in 3-4 days, but I'm worried that she may

starve before they can release her.  Any suggestions??

        Sorry to be rambling, but this is my very first experi-

ence with bees, and I want to do it right!!  Thanks again for

all the help!!