From:
Elroy Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:42:29 -0800
Jerry J Bromenshenk wrote:

> [...]
> but what do you do if one of the two shows a response and the other does
> not?  Three provides a tie-breaker (1 of 3, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3 colonies)
> show --.  One of two doesn't demonstrate anything.
>
> Depending on the inherent variability in the system, even 3 colonies per
> treatment is probably on the small side, but 3 is far better than 2.  We
> often used 10-12 per treatment, but that is probably more than most can
> spare for this test.  However, with enough participants, 9 colonies per
> participant will probably be sufficient.
>
> You will have to test your colonies in some quantitative way for mite
> infestation levels BEFORE you start the tests.  You should also
> periodically monitor them during the conduct of the test, and at the end
> (or when any of them checks out from mites).
>
> Drift will be a problem, so hive placement is an issue.  You don't want
> untreated bees re-infesting treated colonies.
>
> Also, you shouldn't bunch the the hives up in groups.  For example, we know
> that heat may reduce the number of mites.  So, if all of your controls are
> in the shade and all of your Apistan or FGMO hives are in the sun, you may
> get "mite control" from the heat of the sun (but think it was from the
> chemical treatment - Apistan or FGMO).
>
> You also should choose 9 colonies of similar strength and you then have to
> randomly assign your initial colonies to each of the 3 treatments (Control,
> Apistan, FMGO) for statistical validity.  Let's say you pick 9 colonies.
> Number the hives 1 through 9.  Now, put 9 slips of paper into a hat, each
> with a number from 1 - 9.  Mix them up, then draw them out.  Let us say you
> pull the numbers in this order 2, 7, 3, 4, 9, 6, 1, 5, 8.   We will then
> assign the first number drawn to FMGO, the second to Apistan, the third to
> the Control, and continue.
>
> That allows us to randomnly assign our 9 colonies to the three test groups:
>
> FMGO  Hives 2,4,1
> Apistan  Hives 7,9,5
> Control  Hives 3,6,8
>
> Why do this?  Again, this is a basic premise of setting up a statistically
> valid experiment.  If we simply pick colonies, we may subconsciously pick
> the colonies based on some bias (e.g., worst case, you pick the three
> strongest colonies for the Control hives and assign the weakest to FMGO or
> vice versa).  The weak colonies may be weak because they have more mites to
> begin with.
>
> For those of you with computers (everyone on this list), you can get your
> computer or calculator to generate random numbers (but the hat is more fun).
>
> If your colonies vary greatly in strength, you should be sure that each of
> the 3 "treatment" groups has a similar array of hives by strength.  Again,
> the control would have a strong, medium, and weak hive, the Apistan strip a
> strong, medium, and weak hive, and the FMGO a strong, medium, and weak
> hive.  However, it is simpler to start with similar strength hives.

Okay it sounds good 9 colonies it will be, and I got a 5 year old girl
that sure will help draw the numbers. As to placement of each colony
they should be far enough from each other to keep drifting to a minimum.
Would it be okay for the 3 colonies getting the same treatment to be
placed together.

Also I agree with an earlier post one should do the test and another
find the results, so as to try to weed out any bias one way or the
other. I would be willing to send samples at my own expense to any lab
that would do the counting of varroa mites and t mites at their expense
and share the info with all that participate.

Maybe there will be some other beekeepers that will participate as to
get results from different parts of the country.