Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:30:02 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Of course different strains winter differently.  But  here in Calif, I
have
used Italian-based stocks for over 30 years (with  experiments with other
stocks).  The Italians used to shut down on Nov  first.  No longer, as we
simply no longer have as cold a  winter.>>

    That goes a long way to establish that it is  climate change. I thought
it was likely, but there was the other possibility.  The weather over here
is too variable to be sure how it's affecting the bees,  but species have
been shown to be extending their ranges a  little further north. Greater Wax
Moth, which has traditionally been a  South Coast species, has turned up in
my hives on one occasion.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

Birmingham  UK