From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:49:16 -0500
Grant Gillard wrote:

> My father gave me a valuable piece of marital advice on my wedding
> day.  He said, "Son, in your marriage, you can be happy or you can be
> right."
>
> It seems like there are a lot of unhappy members on these lists who
> feel a greater need to be right.  I choose to be happy.
>
> That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

You father must have seen the movie Harvey. In it the hero says, "In
this world you can be oh so right or oh so pleasant. I prefer pleasant."

The problem many of us face on this list is when we see something that
is wrong we respond to it. Generally it is to someone who tried
something and it worked but has nothing but anecdotal evidence that what
they did was the reason for their success. Especially when is lots of
good data that says it does not work. I could name a few of these that
appear from time to time, but in the interest of keeping the entropy of
the universe at a manageable level, will not.

The other problem, which is apparent on the organic thread, is the
classic black/white argument. If I am organic, then everyone else is
awash in chemicals and irresponsible. I am organic and all other honey
is contaminated with pesticides, antibiotics, fertilizer and cow manure
(strike the last, it would be acceptable since it is organic). That is
obviously false, but not in their eyes.

There are things that are right that keep beekeepers out of trouble. We
can be pleasant pointing them out and still be happy. Otherwise we are
in a world of feelings and not one of reason.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine