From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 10:25:40 -0400
Our season is short, so nucs can jump start the colonies.

But, the combs are no free lunch.

One  inheren'st all of the problems of the supplier's bees - great way to get Foul Brood and Chalk Brood, especially if the beekeeper has been in business for more than a few years.  If combs are from migratory operations, you  are also likely to get pesticide residues in the wax from the fields that the former occupants of the hives foraged and almost sure to have residues of miticides.  If a warm climate, you  may also get a present of wax moth.  If a southeastern source, look for hive beetles.

When I started as a researcher, beekeepers offered hives to 'support my research'.  Big mistake, learned first hand that the free equipment came with problems, that quickly  spread to my package colonies.

Packages and foundation may mean that the newbie won't get much harvestable honey for year one, but in the long-term, they're more likely to have sustainable colonies. And, as mentioned, they learn more starting from scratch.

So, we strongly recommend a bit of patience and a start from packages.  We know that many large scale beekeepers like to provide nucs - it's faster and easier than shakes, and it's part of their comb rotation.  Even the best and most honest don't provide their newly drawn combs.  They may not junk their crap combs, but they're not giving away their best.   If you know of one who does, I'd like to know; I could use a supplier of  clean equipment.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt