Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:10:02 -0400
> The big producers sell about a million queens a year, so not a small
> percentage.  And yes, they are open mated, so any claim of "purity," unless
> the producer has an isolated mating yard, is silly.

I got my Carnies from Strachans back before the NWC. I wanted Loman's OWC
this year but my supplier had to go a different route because of personal
issues and I ended up with what he got- Minnesota Hygienic. I enjoy
experimenting so it was no big deal.

The Carnies from Strachen's read the book so if they were a mix, they
certainly did not get the word.

From what I gather from all the posts is that suppliers cannot be trusted
to deliver what they promise. My results differ. The carnies from Strachans
lived up to their name. They were the basis of my stock for years (even
though eventually well diluted) and were exceptional bees. I was sorry to
see Strachan shift to NWC but found Lomans and only sorry I could not get
some queens from them. Problem is, I am one of those hobbyist with few
hives and only need a few queens, hence I am at the mercy of a local
supplier who does get Carnies from them about every year. Except this
year.But he was kind to let me have the Minnesota Hygienics.

Usually I grow my own but I wanted to bring back the Carnies. Maybe next
year.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine