From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:46:11 -0400
Wow, that makes a big difference on the results and makes you wonder about
common beekeeping practices like equilizing colonies and swapping brood.  I
look forward to reading about the results.

Decades ago, Scott Camazine wrote about all the negative things that we beekeepers do to colonies. He suggested that the moving of frames from hive to hive, crushing bees, generally stressing them out, all of these had negative consequences. I remember thinking: so, we go back to keeping bees in box hives, is that it? Well, a lot of newbees are claiming just that: that we should all use box hives, or topbar hives at the worst. However, if your hives are healthy, you should have nothing to fear from routine frame swapping, etc. A few crushed bees are unavoidable; colonies don't normally died of it.

My comment would be brief: the solution to poor management is not less management, it's better management.

Pete