From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 07:50:44 -0500
bob wrote:
"I personally avoid row crop areas. I see beekeepers with big losses
keep going back in those areas."

The above is not an exaggeration. However in some cases the beekeeper is
being paid for the pollination. One beekeeper told me he doubled his fees on
neonic pumpkins but the loss was not worth the increase in fees.

>Could the lack of availability of propolis or the lack of variety in the
>diet be relevant factors?

Could it be the massive feeding of pollen substitute is to overcome the
effects of contaminated pollen?

In areas of the U.S. beekeepers are pulling frames of pollen and tossing and
feeding sub. Bees are responding.

At first commercial beekeepers bought into the various hypothesis around but
as years went on we moved to:

Occam's Razor

The simplest answer is usually the correct answer.

Large die offs in the U.S. seemed to correspond with the areas using the
most
neonics. Coincidence?maybe? maybe not?

The consensus among beekeepers is problems with the pollen gathered in those
areas. Not a nectar issue.

Maybe in the future field research will explain what is happening. Planter
dust alone can not be the only explanation as large beekeepers move into the
area in most cases long after the corn has been planted from holding yards
away from those crops and even from now row crop holding yards in other
states.

The neonicotinoids:
"More questions than answers"

Bees do not thrive around areas of heavy pesticide and fungicide use. New
products are coming on line fast and the neonics are only part of the
problem.

Tighter regulations we feel will help but big business says they need less
regulations to create jobs in the U.S.. I hate to see *less* regulation of
the pesticide industry but I am preparing for such a change
after the election whoever is in control in Washington.

bob