From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:28:28 -0600
Hello All,
I notice a higher instance of dysintary with fructose syrup than when bees
are fed scrape granulated sugar and water which I mix myself.  I see no
difference in a mild winter but do in a severe winter with long periods of
confinement.
Bees winter great on Goldenrod and Aster honey in our area.  Both flows
happen when the temperature is quite high.  Once sealed the honey never
seems to crystalize.  I bottled a drum of last years Goldenrod/Aster honey
which was still liquid after a year today.  In Canada and farther north the
opposite seems to be  true. I believe the crystalization problem farther
north is caused by temperatures around 57 F. when the bees are trying to
convert the nectar to honey but only my opinion. The smell in the hives (and
at times in the honey house) are different between Goldenrod and aster. I
can tell the two apart but many beekeepers only notice a smell. With
Goldenrod the bees draw a beautiful yellow wax which is great for candles.
Why the beewax is very yellow when the goldenrod flow is on I have not a
clue. Maybe someone on the list knows why?
I will be at the annual "Small Farm Today Trade Show" in Columbia, Missouri
on November 1,2 and 3rd. to answer beekeeping questions. To register over
the phone or get directions to the show call 1-800-633-2535.
I wrote a article about the show which was published in the June 2001 issue
of Bee Culture for those interested.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison