From:
ALDEN MARSHALL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:01:29 -0500
Blank    It has been touted by many that screen bottoms produce stronger colonies. Is it the bottoms or the reduced mite loads that produce the effect? I do not us them ( drone brood removal) and my colonies are also much stronger and more productive. I am, until proven otherwise, of the belief that the relieved mite load stress is to take credit.
    I think on way to verify this would be to run an experiment with solid against screen bottoms, using drone brood removal in both sets. Would the screen bottoms  be the winners? I have my opinions but will wait for the evidence. Perhaps Randy would like to put this to test?

BTW, Randy has a very informative site, Something that the industry has needed for some time.

Alden Marshall
Hudson, NH