From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:17:51 -0700
> The "organic" honey marketers have never had a problem with pointing
> out the evils of heating, straining, and mixing (Jack's Raw, Wild, Unfiltered
> Honey is one we get locally here).

There is nothing wrong with this advertising as long as it is positive.

The problem arises when the seller tries to explain why anyone would want to
forgo that processing without trashing everyone else.  After all, heat and
straining add expense.  If it is not beneficial why would anyone do it?  The
answer: not everyone needs the benefits of commercial packing and distribution
if a local beekeeper can keep their honey pail full.

There are benefits from heating and filtering honey, and the heated, filtered
product has its place, and that is mass distribution.  For one thing -- as I
described in detail on BEE-L one time -- most packers cannot get the honey out
of the drum and into jars without heat.  Once in jars, it will not reliably stay
liquid unless without application of heat at time of bottling.  Without heat
used to pasteurize and kill yeasts, fermentation is a concern.   Glass grenades
on store shelves are not a good thing.

FWIW, we always sold unfiltered, unpasteurized honey and had quite a nationwide
business at one time.

Much more background can be found at

http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S2=bee-l&q=raw&s=&f=allend@internode.
net&a=&b=20+april+1998

These are my posts, but as always, dissenting views are 'only a click away'
(apologies to The Stones).

Sorry about the word wrap.

allen