From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:45:27 -0500
> It's a globe, friends. Isolationism doesn't work.

Except when it does.

When it comes to biosecurity, "isolationism" works.  Compare and contrast
Australia and New Zealand with everywhere else.   I'd suspect that both
would be somewhat smug about their success at detecting and intercepting
invasive species in all those shipping containers when everyone else never
even started to inspect all incoming containers.

Sure, other countries are not as isolated by oceans, but the point is that
even overland shipments are containerized, making the problem identical
either way.

I think that any smugness is justified.

http://biosecurity.govt.nz
http://daff.gov.au/biosecurity

Also, a typo in my last post in this thread - I typed "honeybees", but meant
"bumblebees", of course.  I blame lack of caffeine.