From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 05:42:55 -0700
>Randy, modern day seed treatments for corn and soybeans typically

> contain not only a neonicitinoid for preventive control of nematodes
> and insects but also two or three fungicides plus a beneficial bacteria
> product

Thanks Paul, I am aware of that.  My question is whether the benefit of
always adding an insecticide is worth the risk of promoting pest
resistance, not to mention the environmental effects of adding a perhaps
unnecessary insecticide to each and every seed.

> >The video also makes the point that even though results from seed
> treatment may vary, and performance may vary from location to location
> and from year to year they likely will pay off in the long run.

Actually, the payoff would be for the short run.  In the long run, all the
pests will become resistant to that insecticide.

> > The problem with that thinking is that such universal overuse of
> > any pesticide will insure that they will rapidly breed for resistant
> > pests, and thus end the usefulness of that particular pesticide.
>
> >Hypothetically, but are a majority of the actualy corn and soybean
> farmers complaining?

Hardly hypothetical--rather, a well-established fact.  And Paul, you surely
must have noticed that no one complains until a practice stops working.
 Foresight is in short supply.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA