From:
Elwin Stillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2017 12:31:12 -0400
Fifty-one years ago, I helped finance my college education by working for a commercial beekeeper for 4 summers. We managed about 1800 colonies.  We used a modification of the Damaree method of swarm control, and I currently use this method for my 20-hive backyard operation.  The hives consisted of two full-depth brood supers, queen excluder and the full-depth honey supers.  During the swarm season (mid-May until July 1) we inspected the hives every 14 to 20 days.  We looked between the brood chambers for swarm cells and checked for supering.  If the honey super was partly full we added another full-depth super.  If the super was full we added 2 full-depth supers.  When swarm cells were found, we placed the queen excluder on the first brood chamber, an empty supper and the honey suppers.  Then we placed a double screen board with the entrance facing up.  The second brood chamber was placed on top.  We did not look for the queen.  After at least 2 weeks we returned the hive to its original configuration.  If eggs were present, we were done.  If not we put a stone on the cover to remind us to check the hive on the next visit.
I have no data as to how well it works.  My sense is that it prevents swarming and requeens the hive at the same time.  Results are variable.  Treated hives generally, but not always produce less honey than those that do not try to swarm.  I have never seen a hive swarm after this procedure, but how would I know unless the hive was electronically monitored? It may take 4-6 weeks for the hive to fully recover.  Has anyone in the group used this method? How useful did you find it?