From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:25:05 -0800

> >Prophylactic treatment of crops is the antithesis of IPM.

I can see that I should have included a few qualifiers for those who have
time on their hand to pick such nits!

Please allow me rephrase:  Automatic, un-indicated prophylactic treatment
with the exact same product is the antithesis of both IPM and PRM (pest
resistance management).

Constant prophylactic treatment with one treatment in most cases leads to
pest resistance to that treatment, putting you right back where you started
from.  Remember how well fluvalinate, coumaphos, and OTC used to work
before beekeepers abused them?

The exception would be where you create an unfavorable habitat for the
parasite, such as by altering the pH.

Pesticides that have a single target site, such as most proprietary
insecticides and fungicides, are especially prone towards developing pest
resistance with regular use.

In IPM, no pesticide is ever used unless warranted by monitoring of the
target pest prevalence.  And treatments and biotechnical methods are
rotated to avoid pest resistance development.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA