From:
Dan Houg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:23:20 CST6CDT
i just couldn't stand to get rid of my old smoker.  but the bellows
fabric, just a rubberized cloth weave, was peeling and so porous i couldn't get
any 'poof' from it anymore.  the new smokers seemed too shiny.  too
new.  and those guard cages seemed like just another liability shield on my
lawnmower.

so i fixed it.  here's what you do...

buy a tube of 100% silicone window caulk.  go ahead and splurge and
get the 50 year stuff.  clear.  squeeze a bunch out onto the bellows
and slather it around thinly.  do the whole bellows, not just where
the fabric seems worn.  let it dry a couple days.  it restored the
'POOF' and seems to be holding up quite well.  thinly applied, it is
flexible and seals air pressure wonderfully.

and i still get to keep my encrusted, rusty smoker.    :-)

-dan